Happy Valentines Day

It's Valentines Day today and we celebrated at home together. Spring is still many weeks away but we are hanging in there!!! To keep us sane we have been:

shopping for new spring clothes. Even though there's still snow on the ground it's nice to buy a few new spring outfits to keep our spirits up and looking forward to when we can actually put away the snow boats and go outside in our twirly skirts and white shoes with pink bowties (and when I saw "we" I mean Ellie and Mimi!)

Meirah is all girl. She LOVES shoes, socks, dresses, tights and headbands. Getting her dressed for preschool in the morngings is pretty much a nightmare. We frequently have AM struggles about clothes and accessories. I can feel my blood pressure rising on those days. I can't even imagine what it's going to be like when she's a teenager...we may have to loan her out for a few years.

We are still not decided about kindergarten for her next year but we are still working on the necessary prep stuff. We discovered a free website called "Starfall" and she loves to sit with the laptop and learn letters and sounds.
Eliana has a few learning computer games she likes to play and so some days we run out of computers to use when the girls are playing their games. Eliana may get wish of her own computer sooner than later!!

We have been doing a little baking to ward off the winter blues. This day we made rice crispie bars and scotch a roos. The girls were pretty good helpers and not too many chocolate chips disappeared before the bars were finished.
Meirah gave up on gymnastics. After one session she asked if she could go back to dance class and so we let her (after we made her stick out for the last three days). Eliana loves gymnastics and wanted to stay.... the high activity level is right up her little ADHD alley. Mimi on the other hand is not as athletic as Ellie and prefers tutus and tapshoes. She's happy to be back in dance class and will get to participate in the spring recital.

This past week at Ellie's school was kindness week and each day the kids got to do something fun like wear their PJ's to school, color their hair crazy colors or have a picnic on beachtowels for lunch. They also got to buy candy for a quarter, buy a big sugar cookie and also pay to wear a hat with all of the proceeds going to Beltrami Humane Society. Ellie broke into her piggy bank after I cut her off at two dollars for candy. I am sure her teacher appreciated her being hopped up on sugar all week :)


We made a trip to the store last weekend and the girls picked out the Valtentines they wanted to give their friends at school and preschool. On Thursday they addressed and signed them in preparation for their class parties the next day. Friday morning, right after I woke Mimi up and reminded her that it was her party day, she was quiet. Instead of the excited response I got from Eliana, she sat for a while thinking and then asked how she would know which valentine to put in which mailbox at school. I told her her teachers know she can't read yet and would help her. This is Mimi though, she actually lies awake at night thinking and worrying. I tell Andrew she's his mini-me.





Because Valentines Day was on a weekend, we got to celebrate all day. We started the day off with a pancake breakfast and boxes of chocolates for everyone. Later for supper we had made to order home-made heart shaped pizza and yummy cupcakes. The day is ending with the girls watching a movie I rented for them and Andrew is going to sacrifice himself and watch a love story with me (The Time Traveler's Wife). To make this weekend even better: we ALL get tomorrow off for president's day. I took a cut in pay for this new job but these small perks make up for it!!

No comments: