The First Post!!!

Here it is…our blog. Not something I really ever thought about doing, even though I read several of them on a daily basis and have several favorites that I really enjoy. I have enough to do as it is and I didn’t think I would have the time to learn how to put one together. The distance of our families and the fact that an actual IT person lives with me pushed me into giving it a try. Here is the result!!! It was a lot of fun to do as Andrew and I worked out the bugs together, picked out themes and figured out how to get those darn pictures in here. It’s also a good thing to do a day like this when the wind chill temps are close to 30 below ZERO. Why we are still in northern MN is a mystery to me…. but anyway.
Well let’s start this baby off right and I’ll bring you up to speed on the week! As you’ll notice from the pictures below Ellie has a new hairstyle: yes she cut her hair. Monday afternoon while I made supper and talked to my sister on the phone Ellie thwarted my efforts of growing out her bangs by taking her little red safety scissors, hiding under the kitchen table and whacking off her bangs. She then put on a snow hat and went outside to try to conceal the evidence in a snow bank. After I got off the phone she walked up to me and ripped off the hat and showed me her handiwork…I stood there in amazement and then sent her to her room. I wasn’t soooo angry about the impromptu haircut as I was with her hiding and sneaking and doing something she knew was wrong (hence the hiding and the sneaking). Well, Andrew came home and did a great job letting her know why what she had done was wrong in that great Papa way of his and instead of going into the office like I usually do on Monday nights we went to mall, more specifically the salon at JC Penny’s so Ellie’s hair could be repaired.
Ellie made friends with the stylist in her usual Ellie way and half way through the hair cut she said to the gal who was cutting her hair, ” Lacey, you are good at cutting hair….but I’m not.” Lacey then almost had to stop cutting because she was laughing so hard. This was good though, we were trying to impress on Ellie that Lacey could cut hair because she had gone to a special school to learn how and Ellie had not even gone to Kindergarten yet. Hopefully we won’t have a repeat performance or worse yet she takes the scissors to her sister’s hair (a la her mother, but that’s a whole ‘nother story!!). The next day I played around with it some to see if I could style it so she actually looks like a girl!

Poor Meirah was sick again this weekend. We have not had very good luck with illnesses this winter as it seems like one of us is sick at any given moment. Meirah just got over a respiratory infection two weeks ago and today she had a stomach bug. She appeared normal this morning; she ran around, played and ate some breakfast. Not a lot but that in and of itself is normal. Food is not high on her priority list. Andrew and Ellie headed off to dance class (for Ellie, not Andrew) and Mimi and I went to WalMart for groceries. As soon as we got there she asked me to pick her up. This is unusual. She views WalMart as a great big playground and loves to walk (run) up and down the aisles. Even though she only weighs 26 pounds, I was not about to carry her and push the cart so I asked her if she wanted to sit in the cart and surprisingly she did. I put my WHITE DOWN COAT (you’ll need to note that for later reference) down on the bottom of the cart and in she went. I quickly knew something was not right because she showed no interest in the fish tanks and as we headed toward the food section she lay down with her Nemo toothbrush clutched in her little hand and FELL ASLEEP (at 10:00 in the morning) . I debated going home then but it was 30-40 below with wind chill temps and I just wanted to get done so I risked it…bad choice. 10 minutes later she woke up, sat up and threw up… all over my WHITE DOWN COAT. I rushed to the nearest bathroom, cleaned her up to the best of my ability and purchased the few things I had (she threw up on some of them). I then had to go outside in a short sleeved T-Shirt and get her home. Thankfully there was no more throwing up in the Rendezvous and when we got home she took a warm bath, got some Tylenol for her fever and watched a show while I defrosted and threw my coat in the wash, praying I would be able to wear it again. Thankfully the coat was OK but poor Mimi was still sick when she went to bed tonight.

You’ll notice in the picture above Mimi’s left eye turns into the corner. It’s a condition called Esotropia. Her doctor thought that at first that it may be accommodative esotropia and that the vision in the left eye was diminished and the struggle to focus was causing it to turn in. Well, $300 pair of glasses later and he thinks she may just have a stronger muscle on that side and surgery might be in her future. Determining vision in small children is difficult but when we got the glasses (they are bifocals) she refused to look through the bifocal. She did everything she could (when she would wear them) to not look through it. That clued us into the fact that maybe it was not improving her eyesight because it did not need to be improved. When we went back to see the doctor she happened to be sick and tired that day and the eye was turning in dramatically. He felt then that this was a muscle issue and because she was so tired that day she did not have the control she may usually have and mentioned the possibility of surgery. We go back in a few months for another review and to have more discussion about fixing her little trick eye.

No comments: