Field trip!!

This past Friday we went on a field trip with Meirah's preschool. Since we were going to be doing a couple of really fun things I decided to let Eliana miss a day of school and come with us. We traveled to Grand Rapids and saw a very cute rendition of Peter and the Wolf performed by a children's theater group at the Reif Center. Eliana was especially impressed (like we knew she would) because when it ended she grabbed my arm and said, "Mama, I LOVED that!! I want to be in one!!". Saw that coming a mile away :)
After the play we went out to lunch and then went over to the Children's Discovery Museum which is also the location of the home that Judy Garland was born in and also houses a lot of Judy Garland memorabilia. There we also did a Dino dig, made a fossil and explored the rest of the museum. It was pretty fun day though I was pretty tired by the time we got home.
Mimi and I checked out dolls created by an artist named Faith Wick. They were all fairy tale themed and I loved all of the detail work. Mimi, on the other hand, got a little scared of a couple of the scenes and hightailed it back to the play area. Eliana was fascinated with this replica of a Soo Locks and kept putting the boats in at the top and let them flow through each gate. Here the kids were able to make their own fossils with clay, shells or a little dino, and plaster of paris.
A cow skeleton was buried in a big sandbox and the kids pretended to be paleontologists. First they used brushes and then small shovels to unearth the bones. Some of the kids went gungho and sand was flying but no bones or small children were hurt in the digging up of the cow. Mimi as a munchkin.
It was a nice museum and I think we will go back as we were not able to see Judy Garland's house and the rest of the discovery center due to time constraints. We will also have to check out the Reif Center from time to time to see if there are any more kids friendly productions as Eliana's love for the dramatic is ever present!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As always it is so nice to see all the pictures of what the girls are doing. Grandma Margo